The research grant of "smarter medicine - Choosing Wisely Switzerland" are granted to research projects that investigate medical overuse and misuse in Switzerland, for example the benefits of a Top 5 List, Choosing Wisely International or other aspects of "low value care". All types of projects (e.g. interventions, observational studies, reanalysis of existing data, qualitative studies, etc) will be considered. These should meet the following conditions:
- The research projects can be conducted by individuals, research groups or organisations.
- Only projects and studies conducted in Switzerland can be considered.
- Applications that are not complete, truthful and submitted on time will not be considered.
- Applicants may submit a maximum of one application per deadline as the main applicant.
The board of the supporting association assesses the applications within the framework of a defined selection procedure and decides on the amount and duration of the financial support of a maximum of CHF 40,000 for all funded projects together. It is possible to split the grant amount for several projects. The supporting association can refrain from providing support without giving a reason.
A jury of the supporting association smarter medicine - Choosing Wisely Switzerland examines and assesses the applications of applicants via an overall evaluation table. The Board of Directors decides on the allocation of research funding from smarter medicine - Choosing Wisely Switzerland. The following criteria are taken into account:
- Relevance: Does the project promote new knowledge regarding smarter medicine/optimal patient care? Does it offer solutions/concrete figures/results? Does it add value to smart medicine or reduce "low value care"?
- Methodology/quality: Is it representative? Are the methods technically sound?
- Originality: Is the project original and innovative or of socio-economic importance?
- Feasibility: Is the project feasible in financial, personnel and organisational terms?
- Costs: Can the project be financed by the grant without own projects having to suffer/be put on hold? If not, is there confirmation of co-funding?